Thursday, February 26, 2009

Summer plans...

I think the general consensus is that I'm overdue on an update. Here's my attempt at ratifying the situation; I HAVE NEWS!! Many of you know that I have a major desire to live in an intentional community (a place designed around similar values/interests where resources and work is shared) that has a focus on hospitality and neighborhood outreach. I have developed a love for the homeless and for struggling single moms over the last year and have been praying for God to bring some people into my life that share these concerns and want to help in a similar way. Ever since my trip to Lakeland, I knew I REALLY wanted this. Prior it was an idea I had, but when I came home I was ready to make it reality, I just didn't know how, when or where.

Over winter break a few friends of mine that I've known for yrs through TIdal River and I visited a community house (The Vine) in Hartfords northend. It's the poorest area in Hartford, and Htfd is the 6th poorest city in the country (according to the last set of stats I read). The Vine runs an urban ministry called Hartford City Missions that hosts an Afterschool Arts program for elementary age students, a youth group gathering with YoungLife, they run Camp Noah, there's a womens bible study once a month at the house and they hold neighborhood blockwatch meetings, etc. It's a busy little community that's growing and I was blessed to learn alot about them through our visit in January. Since then I've been in touch with Rex Fowler (one of the board members) and Lia Lee (leads the ASA prgm) and have expressed my interest in working/learning with them. Not only do I want to see how they run their programs, I want to see what living in a community family is like and get a taste for this life choice that I know Gods calling me to.

Monday night the board held a meeting and they brought my interests up in discussion and prayer and they've asked me to join them this summer!! I will be working as staff at Camp Noah and helping to organize/run YoungLife gatherings with the other summer staffers. I also get to live in the first floor of the Vine house so I can get a feel of community life in the home as well as out in the neighborhood. This is going to be for 10 weeks from the end of May through the Aug. 8th. Depending on how the summer goes, we'll talk/pray about what it would look like if I wanted to stay. I'm sharing all of this with you because I know you will 1) be excited for me and 2) keep EVERYONE and EVERYTHING about this in your prayers. I'm filling out paper work this week, going to the WOTV bible study this Friday, attending a dinner at the house next week and meeting everyone I'd be working with except the other folks that are coming in specificially for Camp Noah.

Here's the website, follow the tabs to check out any and all information you may be curious about: http://www.hartfordcitymission.org/ There's info on the community house, info on HCM and all the other programs they offer. I wanted to give thanks to all of you who have been praying for me over the last few months and ask that it continues. I'm extremely grateful for this amazing oppurtunity - the LORD is so exceedingly good.


Love to you!

1 comment:

Hope said...

YES!! I had a friend who worked with them last summer and lived with them ... I've driven by (one of) the house(s) before, and seen the outside. :) That is so exciting Cara, this will be incredible.